Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Need more training

Eh, it's a sad thing for me that our dojo has to stop meeting in-between semesters. Our classes meet at the University of South Alabama and as such we are bound by their semester schedule. When the semester ends - so do our classes for about two-three weeks.

It's frustrating, particularly since my training partner moved to Illinois before the beginning of this past semester. Otherwise, he and I would likely meet during the off-time to continue our training. I've spent all of this semester roaming between partners, helping kohai with prepare for their tests - and i've noticed a general decline in my own ability.

I've learned quite a bit, to be sure - particularly about guiding others as well as having learned how to correct some of the issues that I had been having with certain techniques. But, all in all, without having had as much practice at the basic repetition of movements for those techniques, my body has forgotten some of it. The time draws nearer for me to start getting concerned about my shodan test, and as such - I need to start training more diligently for myself, and a steady partner wouldn't hurt.

Eh, guess i'll go do some more breakfalls in the grass and toss my wife about some more. -.-

2 comments:

  1. I know it's quite bit away, but if you are ever interested in checking out another style of aikido. (I think you do Tomiki?) Utsusemi Aikikai at UAB always welcomes guests to train with us. (We are ASU, under Saotome Sensei.) But should you ever be in the area, please feel free to come by. If you actually wanted specifics on when we meet, just e-mail me. It should be available on my blog now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I have a hard time getting away from here for very long now that i'm working fulltime, and soon i'll be starting grad school. But if i'm ever in the area i'll be sure to remind you and come take a peek to see what you do and see what's different and the same, etc.

    ReplyDelete